[opendtv] Re: (no subject)

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 14:20:47 -0500

dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> "I agree with Tom that this would break all existing receivers out there,
> if it were broadcast that way."  --Bert
>
> Would it really break the receivers?  In other words, would the receiver
> still be able to use the other versions but just not be able to use the
> 1080 60P content?  This sounds like it might be a benefit so that a
> broadcaster could sell 60P content while basic boxes could still see the SD
> content.
>
> Dan

In this case we apparently were talking about ESPN.  I could imagine
them with proprietary boxes selling 1080p/60 high end premium services
to sports bars or possibly sports videophiles.  But probably not on ATSC
broadcast since you would lose any possible existing viewers that way
and for a premium service with special receivers you would almost
certainly want to switch to AVC encoding.

And at most any reasonable bit rate I'd expect any improvement over
720p/60 to be marginal with todays equipment.  But who knows? Maybe I'll
be pleasantly surprised.

- Tom