[opendtv] Re: news: Martin Slams Cable on Pricing, Bundling

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 08:08:22 -0700

Cox is notorious for doing this -- they randomly increase fees here by a buck or two every few months. When pressed for a 'why?' they just rudely tell you you're free to go elsewhere if you don't like it. And I only get their Internet service...

Cheers
Kon

On Oct 30, 2008, at 9:32 PM, Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There a number of ways cablcos are doing stealth price increases. Following a thread on AVS today I checked my bill and then emailed Cox cable to find I no longer get the broadband discount for having limited basic cable. I don't know when it disappeared.

This weekend will be dedicated to antennas and getting digital OTA working again as I anticipate canceling my cable TV next week if at all possible.

- Tom

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Craig Birkmaier posted:
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6609840.html?display=Breaking
+News&referral=SUPP&nid=2228
Martin Slams Cable on Pricing, Bundling
FCC chairman backs Consumers Union complaints to Congress about cable
industry
By John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 10/30/2008 9:33:00 AM
[ ... ]
"We have also received complaints that cable companies are moving
channels to a digital-only tier and charging consumers the same monthly
rate for a reduced number of channels. If consumers wish to continue
watching the same channels that they were before, they must now buy a
more expensive package or rent more expensive equipment. This is an
unfortunate trend for families facing increasingly difficult economic
times."
The National Cable & Telecommunications Association saw it differently. Calling the group "off base," NCTA said: "CU completely misses the real
reason that more consumers are enjoying digital cable - because it
provides a valuable and diverse range of programming, high-definition
video and interactive services that the entire family can enjoy. During today's tough economic climate, the significant price savings offered by cable's triple play bundle of video, broadband and phone service is even
more valuable to consumers."
------------------------------
I heard this piece on the news today. A very interesting development,
and should not come as a surprise. Cable companies using consumer
confusion on the analog switchoff to their advantage.
Note: the FCC does require cable companies to retain an analog tier, or other means to support analog sets, until 2012. But with no mandate on how many channels such an analog tier, or D/A conversion of basic cable
channels, has to support. So cable companies are doing what any
profit-motivated company would do.
This could be the sort of thing that keeps the balance between MVPDs and FOTA TV, though. It's not at all a bad thing, overall. Unless, that is,
you want to kill off OTA TV.
I did post a note to the FCC on the white space vote coming up, btw.
I'll let you guess what "side" I was on.
Bert