[opendtv] Re: news: F.C.C. to Open Radio Spectrum

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 14:44:11 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

Not bad, John. You almost have a point.

And they have to forbid the use of only
auto-sensing techniques to determine white spaces, simply because local
nulls can too easily foil them. Just as local nulls harm OTA reception.

The math is straightforward.

Almost?  Aw man, throw me a bone at least.

Nulls are not a factor, because WSDs can be mandated to hunt the entire 6 MHz wide channel 100 KHz at a time for an RF carrier. They do not need to be able to DECODE the carrier, just detect RF, and I've never seen a 6 MHz wide ATSC null. Notches within the 6 MHz yes, but not the entire channel. Maybe they exist, but I haven't come across them with my spectrum analyzer in the field.

John