[opendtv] Re: news: F.C.C. to Open Radio Spectrum

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 14:26:40 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

>> In other words, no, the devices did not measure up in tests.
>> But we have "faith" that they can.

> No different than the "faith" the FCC had that ATSC reception
> problems would be sorted out eventually.

Not bad, John. You almost have a point.

The difference is, though, that back in 2001, we knew what then-current
ATSC receivers were still not doing right. We knew then that there was
room for improvement. There still is. Whereas with the WSDs, basic laws
of physics conspire against them.

That's the difference. *We* are not obligated to formulate opinions
based on faith, as it looks like lawyers at the FCC have done. To make
this work, the FCC has to first mandate receivers with at least 55 dB of
adjacent channel selectivity. And they have to forbid the use of only
auto-sensing techniques to determine white spaces, simply because local
nulls can too easily foil them. Just as local nulls harm OTA reception.

The math is straightforward.