[opendtv] Re: news: F.C.C. to Open Radio Spectrum

  • From: "Hunold, Ken" <KRH@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 14:24:18 -0500

"No different than the 'faith' the FCC had that ATSC reception problems
would
be sorted out eventually.

John"

No, more like the problem with DTV signals interfering with medical
telemetry devices that were operating on an "unused" VHF channel.  At
least in that instance there was a responsible broadcaster who
voluntarily shut down their DTV station until the problem was sorted
out.  They determined who the interferer was, and even though the
broadcaster was operating legally, they could unilaterally choose to
stop broadcasting.  I doubt consumers operating their new wireless
devices would be so easy to locate, knowledgeable of their actions, or
willing to suspend their "operation" until the problems are resolved.

What other types of devices already operate in the broadcast band, and
will these devices detect *them* before firing up?  What is the
interference pecking order?

Ken

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

>> But F.C.C. commissioners said they had confidence that
>> interference could be mitigated through tight regulation of
>> new devices.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. In other words, no, the devices did
not
> measure up in tests. But we have "faith" that they can. At oleast,
this
> NY Times article finally said it like it is. That's a change.
>
> So, exactly what "tight regulation" will the FCC impose on these
> devices, if the rules they have already set down have been shown not
> work?
>
> Looks to me like a lot of BS on top of BS.
>
> Bert

No different than the "faith" the FCC had that ATSC reception problems
would
be sorted out eventually.

John

information intended for a specific individual and purpose.  If you
are not the intended recipient, delete this message.  If you are
not the intended recipient, disclosing, copying, distributing, or
taking any action based on this message is strictly prohibited.