[opendtv] Re: news: F.C.C. to Open Radio Spectrum

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 08:59:03 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

 In other words, no, the devices did not measure up in tests.
 But we have "faith" that they can.

 No different than the "faith" the FCC had that ATSC reception
 problems would be sorted out eventually.

Not bad, John. You almost have a point.

The difference is, though, that back in 2001, we knew what then-current
ATSC receivers were still not doing right. We knew then that there was
room for improvement. There still is. Whereas with the WSDs, basic laws
of physics conspire against them.

The basic laws of physics tell us that the Broadcast TV infrastructure conspires against efficient use of this valuable spectrum resource.

- We would not be having a discussion about the white spaces if they were not necessary to protect this inefficient broadcast infrastructure from interfering with itself.

- We would not be having a discussion about the white spaces if broadcasters were proposing to do something useful with them, rather than working for decades to prevent their use (unless it benefited them, like wireless mics).

So drop this physics crap Bert. You know better.