[opendtv] Re: news: F.C.C. to Open Radio Spectrum

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 15:47:13 -0600

John Shutt wrote:

Nulls are not a factor, because WSDs can be mandated to hunt the entire 6 MHz wide channel 100 KHz at a time for an RF carrier. They do not need to be able to DECODE the carrier, just detect RF, and I've never seen a 6 MHz wide ATSC null. Notches within the 6 MHz yes, but not the entire channel. Maybe they exist, but I haven't come across them with my spectrum analyzer in the field.

That's not the problem: the problem is signal strength. The white space
device may be near the ground and not see enough signal, whereas
a high-gain Yagi TV antenna might be at 40 feet high near it, pointed right at
it.
There goes the TV reception.

Doug McDonald