[opendtv] Re: news: Apple Deal Would Be Rotten for TiVo

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:44:42 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> Tivo's maybe were first sold as a service but I
> don't think that works anymore. It is not really
> possible to sell guide data service that competes
> well with what the cable & sat companies have.
>
> So I think PVR's are just hardware now.  If they
> can't be sold competitively that way then they
> are likely in deep trouble.

Ironically, it is specifically the fact that TiVo
tried to emulate a cable tethered model that turned
me off to them right at the start. Had they instead
sold just the hardware, as you put it, i.e. had they
marketed their product as a hard drive recorder, by
now I'm sure I would have one.

It's anyone's guess whether their business model
resulted in more or fewer sales, though. To me, the
ideal TiVo-like product for DTT is the hard drive
recorder which depends only on PSIP for the EPG.
For the 15-19 percent of us who use OTA, one of the
major attractions of OTA is that you're NOT tethered.
It always seemed very odd to me to force the
umbillical cord for something as simple as recording,
on a market of OTA users.

Integrated with cable or DBS STBs, the TiVo concept
is vulnerable. Because those systems already had
their own EPG schemes.