[opendtv] Re: [lptv] FYI NEWS There Goes Analog

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:21:21 -0700

Yes, New York is a smorgasbord, even with public tv.  I also note that there
is talk of turning 4 of the ny pubcasters into a single organization: better
to preserve diversity, no?

A statistic of what percentage of the programming of each comes from PBS,
and what percentage of the sign to sign off programming is repeated on other
stations within a week or so might be of interest.

But, you are talking about niche audiences: San Diego has only one
pubcaster, and they show Britcoms (I suspect that only brits watch "Are you
being served?" only on Saturday evenings.  Too heavy, in my mind.

IIRC, a few years ago in Los Angeles, there was a study of pubcaster
programming, and the bulk of it was national (KCET's Life and Times, now a
half-hour, a notable exception), and only a small percentage was
non-duplicated over the course of a week.  Aside from tivo-challenged
slotting issues, that's not a whole lot of diversity ...

I also tend to draw a distinction -- as do many pubcasters -- between
instructional programming and the bulk of public broadcasting.
Instructional programming seems to be on the way to being a new public
public broadcasting/cable profit center.  I see and hear very little
instructional programming on public tv in markets with less than 2 public tv
stations.