[opendtv] Re: [lptv] FYI NEWS There Goes Analog

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:34:20 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> You have got to be kidding.  We can't even fund the
> replacement of three studio cameras, and you want
> us to give away $200 STBs.

Not give away for free. Give as prizes for people
pledging huge amounts. Like, for a $500 pledge, you
get this LG 5th gen STB that cost PBS $50, with the
PBS logo on it.

And PBS is just one example. It seems to me that the
NAB could spearhead this sort of program, to create
what should be a huge market for the timid OEMs.

Cable and DBS companies don't expect STBs for their
media to just happen spontaneously, right?