[opendtv] hbowatch.com: How Much Does an HBO Subscription Cost These Days?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 00:32:12 +0000

This article, which Craig should read carefully, and also read the
all-important comments, explains the real situation from the perspective of
early 2013. People were paying in excess of $100/mo, for the privilege of
having access to HBO. This was before the $50 slimmed-down bundles became an
option.

Read the comments, Craig.

One guy said he needs to pay at least $70 or $80 a month, just so HBO is an
option.  But then look at Rococo's post. He broke it down by the year. Had to
pay $69.99 including Internet, for the first year, $89.99 the second year, and
finally $115/mo. Just to get HBO. So the marginal cost of adding HBO is not the
point.

Sure, you also got tons of other channels. But many, and perhaps most people,
don't want all the bloat, Craig. HBO listened. ESPN too.

By Jacob Klein on Feb 7, 2013 to HBO News

It seems like these days everyone wants to get into the premium programming
game.  Netflix is now releasing exclusive series and even network television
has stepped up its game hiring bigger named actors and pouring more money into
production.  People expect more out of their cable subscriptions today than
ever before.  But how much should a subscription to these services cost?

Most HBO Watchers subscribe to the premium cable network  because their
favorite programs can be found only there.  It's tough to put a price on the
ability to watch Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and exclusive documentaries
in 1080p, watching online anytime and now anywhere with HBOGo.  But what are
the actual rates?  The answer is of course quite complicated so we wanted to
bring you the latest from each of the major cable provider's websites below.
Rates may vary in your area (in fact, they will) and be sure to ask about any
special deals they may be running.

Charter: $15 / month

Verizon: $18.99 /month

Comcast: $19.99 /month

AT&T: $16 /month

Time Warner Cable: $15.95 /month

Cablevision: $14.95 /month

Cox: $15 /month.

Again most cable companies run discounts that can reduce these prices for going
with larger cable packages.  Other companies offer free HBO for 6 months, 12
months or more so you'll just have to give them a call to be sure.  These are
just the base rates available on these company's websites.

Regardless we hope this gives you a general idea of how much an HBO
subscription costs.  A quick average of the six prices comes to about $16 if
you're counting.  Whether or not you feel like that is worth it or not is up to
you.  But remember HBO places much value in exclusivity. The prices surely earn
HBO the title of premium cable network.

Here's the quickest way to subscribe to HBO online through HBO.com official or
check out our guide to doing the same

Are you a subscriber?  Are these prices too high?  Too low?  Leave your
comments and concerns below.

UPDATE: HBO just announced a standalone product for HBO Go that may have
different pricing. We do not yet have that info but when we do we'll put it
here!  Check out the story here.