[opendtv] Re: eMarketer: TV, Video Habits See Big Changes

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 07:18:36 -0500

There is really nothing new in this report, except for some survey findings
that do not match up with current realities.

I guess it confuses Bert when I call OTT TV a catch-up service. Perhaps it is
better to just call it VOD. The article does point to the fact that viewers no
longer watch as much appointment TV :

> Consumers' inclination to watch cable and network TV as it airs is declining
> fast, while consuming video on non-TV devices and watching over-the-top (OTT)
> content are increasingly becoming regular activities.

We've been over this recently; even Bert admits he prefers VOD to programming
his DVR.

This may well reduce the time viewers spend watching the live channels
delivered via cable and DBS, but is it really causing a significant number to
cut the cord? The number of homes that subscribe to a MVPD service has
declined, but 83% is still a big and highly profitable segment of the market.
And some of the OTT viewing reported is walled garden content, now available to
MVPD subscribers via the Internet.

Getting OTT content onto the big screen is not difficult. For $39 Chromecast is
selling very well - #2 in the electronics category on Amazon. Now Roku has
introduced a fop to plug into a HDMI port. I would suggest that the larger
barrier is spending >$40/mo for broadband.