[opendtv] Re: coverstory_8_11_14.pdf

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 09:29:08 -0400

All true!

TV did fundamentally change consumer behavior. Theater attendance started to
plunge in the '50s.

The medium has survived for the reasons you mention, not to mention the "date
night" experience.

I would add that Hollywood - at least for the last half century - has resisted
trying to force everything into one convenient "box." The motion picture
industry supports a wide range of aspect ratios, and is finally starting to
experiment with frame rates. And then there are the enhanced experiences like
IMAX, and Cinerama before it.