[opendtv] Re: coverstory_8_11_14.pdf

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 09:53:16 -0400

Image sampling is a very complex subject with multiple variables.

Film has many desirable characteristics, and some that are less desirable. Some
like the look of film grain; some find it to be a "negative."

The quality of the sampling process is critical. It's not just resolution;
signal to noise is also critical as sampling errors reduce image quality. And
dynamic range is a huge factor, especially with respect to image correction and
enhancement in post production.

We are focused on a specific application - entertainment. Other industries face
different problems. At Grass Valley we printed full size posters of the video
mixer control panels. A 35 mm camera negative was useless when blown up to that
size for printing. We used large format cameras with negatives up to 12" in
width.

In the end it is all about how any image capture system is used, and the
complexity of the processes needed to capture the best quality images. The
professional cinematographer has the training and experience to get the most
out of any capture media. For the average videographer and amateur
photographers/videographers, digital acquisition has revolutionized image
acquisition - film and the companies that make it have withered and many have
died.

I grew up in dark rooms, processing negatives and printing, mostly B&W. I also
spliced reels of 16mm film with programs and commercials at my first job in a
commercial TV station...

And I helped the entire entertainment and professional video industries
transition from linear taped based editing to non-linear digital editing, not
to mention the transition from video mixers with DVEs to software based digital
image processing. The expansion in capabilities, creative freedom and
efficiency have been dramatic.

For most applications, the many benefits of processing digital images outweigh
the limited advantages of working with film. It is worth noting that the first
thing that happens with film negative in Hollywood is that it is scanned for
electronic post production.

Meanwhile electronic image acquisition and display keeps improving.

Cliff is enamored of the history of our craft. One cannot argue, with a
straight face, that today's flat panel consumer displays hanging on a wall are
inferior to the NTSC CRT displays that they replaced.