[opendtv] Re: being professional

  • From: Jeroen Stessen <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:32:14 +0200

Dear John (Willkie),

> I have a very difficult time tolerating idiotic, non-thinking responses
> and parries.

A.k.a. "opinions". Or "religion". Hey, it's a free world.

> Another pet peeve is one-note johnnies.  I have encountered such
> types on this list and on other lists.  Their only contribution is
> to advance their commercial interests and to denigrate any ideas
> they view to be contrary to their commercial interests.

Count me as one of them. If my company has an interest in de-interlacing
then I will sing the praise of interlace. I am not permitted to give my
own opinions with the company's e-mail domain attached to it, you know.
You should not, and will never, know what I personally think of it. It
could swing either way, don't bother go guess. It's irrelevant to you.

> Since I have no boss, they can't appeal, except through me personally.

That reminds me of the first (and only) time that I got flamed...
I think the flame contained some reference to my boss, not that that
impressed me very much. I guess it was just his standard letter.

So, who or what are you ? Which business do you represent, if any ?

> Between a rock and hard place, they sometimes get the message.

No, it only gets you kill-filed. Or filtered, or "ruled", or whatever
it is called now. Rudeness gets you nowhere in the digital world.

> Your criticisms are well-put, Jeroen.

Thanks.

> The other part of the story, however, is the large number of
> industry folks that are either lurkers on this list because they
> find the threads driven by these non-participants to be pure drivel.

Hey, those of us who are under management are not free to write
what we want. Sometimes lurking is the only option, if your company
prefers to talk to the masses through the proper channels only.
I have been in trouble already once or twice. It's always safer to
only listen and shut up. You seem to be one of a few people who can
speak anyway he wants. You should not abuse that privilege...

> I tend to not put my random or idle thoughts on this list.

Okay, I grant you that sometimes this list seems like an old ladies'
club, full of gossip and rumour but low on facts. Makes me wonder
if these people have nothing better to do, a job perhaps ?   ;-)

But that goes for you too, don't you have anything better to do ??

> I am told by a few people that at least there is entertainment
> value in some of my posts.

There is a lot of entertainment here, not just in your messages.
Which is probably why I still hang on, sigh...

Okay guys, I'm signing off for a long vacation now. I'll be back
by the end of August. I can be found (not !) in beautiful Belgrade,
capital of Serbia, home of my wife, by the river Danube. Ha ha.

Bye,
-- Jeroen

| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen   | E-mail:  Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven  | Deptmt.: Philips Applied Technologies |
| Phone:    ++31.40.2732739     | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2 |
| Mobile:   ++31.6.44680021     | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands |