[opendtv] Re: antenna availability

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 18:04:07 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> It is the ANTENNA that is the albatross around the necks of
> broadcasters. Most modern wireless devices have antennas, but
> they are compact, integrated and require no user adjustment.

Apples and oranges. You're talking about either cell phones or WiFi
devices, both of which are totally dependent on an underlying wired
network. The RF leg of the journey is very short.

ON THE OTHER HAND, if you want to talk sense, compare OTA with
satellite. Satellite also depends on the antenna for the heavy lifting,
and its subscribers (note: umbillical) almost always request
professional help to make it work.

Satellite requires much more careful aim than OTA, and it is far less
tolerant of any ghost.

> You are forgetting one very important factor here Bert.
>
> Retransmission consent. Broadcasters would much prefer for
> consumers to move to cable or DBS.

We have been down this path before.

I am addressing the requirements for obtaining OTA reception. At least
so far, the FCC is still supporting FOTA TV in the US, and it will
likely continue to do so as long as OTA is seen by the govt folk as
something for the "disadvantaged."

So, whatever you claim the broadcasters would prefer, I'm addressing OTA
reception.

I would prefer you send me a monthly stipend too, Craig. Make it a new
year's resolution!