[opendtv] Re: antenna availability

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 19:57:49 -0500

Back in 2000 before getting interested in HDTV I had no antenna at all, just cable. But I had an antenna cable going up to a canceled and dead D* dish so I just planned to connect that cable to a new antenna strapped to the chimney.

I'm not sure but I think it was the antenna rotor that I couldn't find locally. At the time I think I did find a rooftop antenna at Home Depot or somewhere, just not a rotor. But it's been 8 years or so and I forget the details.

I'm pretty sure I went into the same store a couple years later looking for another piece of antenna mast or something and they had no rooftop antennas at all.

- Tom

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Tom Barry wrote:

Some years ago with my first HDTV and lousy indoor reception
I found out that digital TV was supposedly designed for a target
specification of a 30' high roof top rotor antenna. So I
grudgingly set out to buy one.

I couldn't even find one locally in the Detroit area.

Home Depot and Lowes seem to have a couple of VHF/UHF outdoor type
antennas in stock most of the time. Certainly NOT Radio Shack, not in
years and years.

It all comes down to just how well these people are receiving analog TV
now. Or, like that piece on the IEEE site, are they only watching VHF
channels with lots of ghost, and analog UHF essentially unavailable.

If their UHF analog is decent, as mine was, I don't think there should
be big problems with the newer ATSC receivers using the existing
antenna. That SHOULD account for the majority of people making the
transition. One would hope, anyway.

In my case, I initially used the same antenna as before (one indoor, one
outdoor), with 3rd gen boxes, and got reception. But, of course, analog
UHF was usable before. I can't believe the newer and far better CECBs
would be more difficult.