[opendtv] Re: antenna availability

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 19:46:50 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> Some years ago with my first HDTV and lousy indoor reception
> I found out that digital TV was supposedly designed for a target
> specification of a 30' high roof top rotor antenna. So I
> grudgingly set out to buy one.
>
> I couldn't even find one locally in the Detroit area.

Home Depot and Lowes seem to have a couple of VHF/UHF outdoor type
antennas in stock most of the time. Certainly NOT Radio Shack, not in
years and years.

It all comes down to just how well these people are receiving analog TV
now. Or, like that piece on the IEEE site, are they only watching VHF
channels with lots of ghost, and analog UHF essentially unavailable.

If their UHF analog is decent, as mine was, I don't think there should
be big problems with the newer ATSC receivers using the existing
antenna. That SHOULD account for the majority of people making the
transition. One would hope, anyway.

In my case, I initially used the same antenna as before (one indoor, one
outdoor), with 3rd gen boxes, and got reception. But, of course, analog
UHF was usable before. I can't believe the newer and far better CECBs
would be more difficult.