[opendtv] Re: a peek at MDTV business models

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 09:55:16 -0800

Steve;

Going by my web site Google hits, I suspect that Verizon Wireless will be an
early adopter.  Mobi Tv was deeply involved in M/H subcommittee work.

As a practical matter, the service guide, key management and application
framework used in ATSC M/H are either derived from or closely based on the
OMA suite of standards (developed by the Open Mobile Alliance) and both Mobi
and Qualcomm were deeply involved in that work.

However, my friend at "one of the above" told me some months ago that he
thought the carriers wouldn't be early adopters on the OMA service guide.
There are companies that are trying to sell the OMA BCAST service guide into
these markets, and there hasn't been much real interest.

Hence, my concerns about interfacing with traffic and automation systems in
broadcast plants.  Cell carriers just don't have these capabilities or
systems.

John Willkie