[opendtv] Re: a peek at MDTV business models

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 09:49:30 -0800

Tom;

I agree as to the value added aspect.  There is much more in the M/H toolkit
than 'traditional video and audio.'

Yes, EtherGuide Emissary will provide broadcasters with M/H signaling and
M/H announcement features, using the same user interface as for PSIP/MPEG-2
Program Specific Information.

For signaling, EtherGuide Emissary will provide for the creation and
transmission of

1) Fast Information Channel (if not created by emission gear);
2) Transmission Parameter Channel (if not created by emission gear);
3) Service Map Table (SMT)
4) Guide Access Table (GAT)
5) Cell Information Table (SIT)
6) Service Labeling Table (SLT)
7) Rating Region Table (RRT)

For announcement, EtherGuide Emissary will enable the generation and
transmission of one or more Service Guides (an interactive program guide)
with branding specified by the customer.

Much of the infrastructure for the above has been included in the software
for months -- I'm now in the process of debugging, and pondering how to
publish the interfaces for automation and traffic systems.  I suspect I'll
end up just providing SQL stored procedures for adding/deleting/modifying
the data elements as well as retrieving the elements.

I also anticipate -- in combination with others -- transmitting the keys
needed for encrypted communications. I've had the ability to generate all
the signaling bit-streams for months, while things are evolving.  And, I've
been hacking away at the elements needed for the Service Guide.

And, for those ordering early, I won't charge more for EtherGuide Emissary
with value-added M/H features.  Each unit can be field-upgraded to generate
and transmit M/H signaling and announcement "in a flash."

I could go on, but I'll avoid the sales pitch for the moment.  I am in the
process of updating the information on my web site to reflect this,
including screen shots of the user interface.  I should have that ready
within a few days at www.EtherguideSystems.com

John Willkie
EtherGuide Systems
+1 619 770-5760