[opendtv] Re: a la carte, Who Wants It?

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:46:34 -0700

The only media in a DVD is the actual physical dvd.  They're called "blank
recording media" when I buy blank ones.  When you import movies, etc into
the U.S., provided the appropriate exemption form is filed (and the
conditions are met), you pay a duty only on the cost of the raw recording
media.  I was truly surprised about that, but there are no duties on
content, only physical media.

I would highly recommend that you take out a dictionary and look up the
words "media" (plural) and "medium" (singular).  Ever hear of a book by an
obscure Canadian professor, something like "The Medium is the Message."?

Content is what you buy; it's what has value.  Media is how the content is
delivered to you.  "Content is king" and media is something else.

Another way to examining this is to contemplate what happens to the actual
market value of a television station when they loose a network affiliation
and "go independent."  The loss of NBC affiliation to KRON has just about
put Young Broadcasting into bankruptcy; while KNTV, with NBC content, is
doing much better than before.  Both stations are media; content makes the
difference.

John Willkie

  _____