[opendtv] Re: Zoran's ATSC Digital Television Receiver Is First to Exceed A/74

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 12:03:09 -0400

Ron Economos wrote:

> Zoran (the former Oren) has to put some spin on their
> chip because they are in a tough market. It's thought
> that ATI (AMD) has 70 to 80 percent of the non-captive
> DTV demod market.

Probably caused by the low parts count, since demod and MPEG-2 decoder
are on the same chip. And decent performance.

> The much anticipated "Casper" from Linx (now Micronas)
> was a complete bust. Not designed into anything due to
> performance issues.

Are you sure about this? Micronas lists these ATSC demod products:

http://www.micronas.com/products/by_function/index.html?backurl=%2Fprodu
cts%2Findex.html&l=71987

APB 71x6/8I
DRX 3931L
DRX 393yJ
DRX 3942H
DRX 394yJ

As far as I can tell, they are all "Casper friendly ghost" derivatives,
although I don't know where they might be used.

---------------------------
Short description

The DRX 3931L is a "ghost-friendly" ATSC receiver chip in combination
with a Clear QAM 64/256 demodulator. The device demodulates standard and
high-definition television signals according to North American digital
television broadcast standards (terrestrial and cable TV).

Progressive filtering techniques recover digital terrestrial ghost
energy to increase the total signal strength using Micronas' primeD(r)
technology. The result is superior ATSC ghost performance, i.e. for very
strong and/or dynamic echoes in urban areas or reception via an in-door
antenna.

The DRX 3931L shows leading-edge performance in broadcast
infrastructures based on single-frequency networks, repeaters, and
gap-fillers. This translates into optimum reception performance in a
maximum variety of field conditions.

This unique filter technology is also able to deal with the so-called
"bobbling effect" that is caused by swaying antennas and tall buildings
resulting in the reception of multiple echoes of equal and varying
amplitudes without a clear main path.

Micronas offers one version of DRX 3931L specifically designed for
over-the-air (ATSC) or unencrypted QAM digital television. Other
versions, i.e., NTSC and OOB, are supported by Micronas' DRX 39xyH
family.