[opendtv] Re: Zoran's ATSC Digital Television Receiver Is First to Exceed A/74

  • From: Richard Hollandsworth <holl_ands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:57:26 -0700 (PDT)

I would expect that if someone performed a lab test to verify "conformance"
it would be very common to "exceed" specific spec requirements,
even if only by a tenth of a dB.

I've found it fairly rare to perfectly "meet" a particular
spec requirement.

So when they say they "exceeded" some unspecified requirement by
some unspecified amount, I chalk it up as pure marketing HYPE...

holl_ands

====================================
"Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Richard
Hollandsworth wrote:

> Latest article probably means Zoran is first ATSC
> Receiver TESTED BY CRC that passed those sub-set
> of A/74 tests actually performed by CRC.

Actually, they claim that they *exceeded* A/74. Although many older
receivers have exceeded parts of A/74 already, but never all of it, it's
still good to see that now the hype is about exceeding A/74, rather than
just meeting it.

What I'd like to know is what about A/74 they exceeded that previous
ones had not exceeded. But if it ain't for public consumption, then I
guess we can only speculate.

Bert

TV dinner still cooling?