[opendtv] Re: Zenith 5th get TV reports

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 18:44:56 -0400

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=3D5571303#post557130=
3

> at AVS the Zenith 5th gen TV's are shipping and have
> better reception than the LG 4200A STB's, previously
> considered pretty good.

Robert, the TiVo dealer, says in his post that he got
21 channels, all rock solid, from a ground floor store,
with Silver Sensor, surrounded by 6-floor buildings.
Where no other ATSC receiver could pick up a single
station.

From which description I would guesstimate that this
is FINALLY performance similar to that witnessed by
Mark Schubin and Bob Miller. Now, if it would also come
in the form of an STB, we could more quickly (read
cheaply) make the transition.

Good to see that as of now, at least, LG is *not*
scrimping on the built-in ATSC receiver, as so many had
predicted would happen. So at very least, this gives
other OEMs a target to match or beat. (Does anyone want
to be known as the brand with the crappy ATSC tuner?)

Don't know the prices. One of the sets is a 30"
direct view CRT. Sounds like should be reasonably
priced? Couldn't find it at Best Buy or Circuit City.

This is exciting news. Let's see if they suddenly get
pulled off the market for some mysterious reason.