[opendtv] Re: XDS and ATSC

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 10:53:35 -0400

John Limpert wrote:

> I've been reading some web pages on the "autoclock" technology
> used by PBS to distribute time to consumer VCRs and television
> receivers. They use XDS packets to distribute time in their
> NTSC signal. Is there a similar capability in ATSC?

Yes, but every station distributes time, rather than just PBS. It's part of
PSIP, A/65C Section 6.1.

http://www.atsc.org/standards/a_65cr1_with_amend_1.pdf

In my experience, the stations are very blasé about their time signal.
Depending on the station, I've seen it off by as much as 10 minutes, which in
my mind is just plain inexcusably sloppy. So I set my STB manually, and haven't
had any trouble with recording times since I've done that.