[opendtv] Re: With TVs switching to digital, it's time to pay attention

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 16:24:28 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> One man's pessimism is another mans reality. Your support
> of 8-VSB is truly stubborness in the face of reality of
> monumental proportions to me.

As you say, one man's stubborness is another man's reality.

The reality since 2001 has been that DTT in the US is going to depend on 8-VSB
at the physical layer. The reality is that the equalizers 8-VSB has always
depended on have not only gotten much better than they were in 2001 and prior,
but are also being adopted by other brand new DTT standards.

Continuing the crusade against 8-VSB now, and really ever since 2002, when the
arguments were rapidly becoming lame and obsolete, can only work against DTT in
the US. I don't know why anyone would be proud of that, unless on the payroll
of other interests in contention for the TV spectrum. (There's nothing wrong
with that, of course, as long as it's up front.)

Check your facts, Bob. You keep waxing eloquent about the Chinese system. How
do you rationalize the fact that they too depend on training sequences and (by
your estimation) power-hungry equalizers?