[opendtv] Re: Wireless broadband and cellular

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 21:10:00 -0500

This is what I was talking about, when I suggested that wireless broadband and cellular are not mutually exclusive. In order to offer wireless broadband, cellular is the natural choice. And also, WiFi hotspots and 3G femtocells will become, functionally, hard to tell apart. Speeds and coverage should be similar for the two.

Obviously not mutually exclusive.

Not sure why you think cellular is the natural choice for wireless broadband, other than the fact the telcos keep buying up spectrum. I agree that cellular will dominate for mobile handsets, but there are many possibilities for wireless broadband to fixed locations that are not served by wired broadband. THe TV white spaces come to mind...

Also, much of the article discussed existing and emerging technologies to take traffic OFF of the cellular networks. Both Wi-Fi hot spots and femtocells are moving traffic ONTO wired networks to free up bandwidth on the cellular networks.

More like mutually dependent.

P.S. sure wish AT&T would offer their microcell in our area...

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/3gmicrocell/