[opendtv] Re: Wire: The Future of TV Is Cable Bundles on the Internet

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 09:42:28 -0400

On Oct 7, 2014, at 7:52 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Don’t get excited by the subject line, Craig. This article is (a) over one
> year old and (b) comes to a conclusion you probably didn't predict.
>
> Instead, this article says it like it is, for MVPD copycats. And it goes
> without saying, the same applies to TVE. There is no significant difference,
> from a customer's point of view, between TVE and Internet OTT sites that
> merely emulate MVPDs.

They came to EXACTLY the conclusion I have been predicting.

> New aspiring OTT services have to go this route only if they go begging to
> the congloms (or go begging to MVPDs, as Apple did). So clearly, this ain't
> the model to think about for the future. The future is what customers
> motivate the content owners to do.

The article was poorly written, suggesting that OTT competitors need to license
content from existing MVPDs. This is only true in the case of Comcast/NBCU.

The article DID get it right about the major changes in the future: improved
user interface and search capabilities, and a shift to on demand versus live
streams.