[opendtv] Windows media 9 encoders & VC1 decoder

  • From: "Prashant Desai" <prashant.desai@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'WMTalk'" <WMTalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 15:45:47 +0530

Hello all

I have been trying to find out  , whether the wmv9 and vc1 is exactly the
same codec having different names

One from Microsoft and other from SMPTE , or there is any changes that's
been suggested and included in the specs of VC1

So  , there are some difference between  wmv9 and VC1  ?

If its exactly the same , then  is it possible do decode the video stream
using an STB that's having VC1 decoder where the content is encoded by the
WMV9 encoders

, the reason for this confusion is I can find my companies whose have
announced that their encodes /decoders etc products will support VC-1 in
future , so does this mean that it will actually also support wmv9  ?  or
its  different video codec [ not major difference ] but then too with some
minor changes which SMPTE have

Recommended and incorporated on top of the wmv9 submitted by the MS.  ?

Again ,  is the windows media player on PC can decode the VC- 1 encoded
content ?  theoretically ?  & practically ?  if yes then how about the
transport stream ?

Multiplexing of audio ,video .....then audio formats ,  no of audio channels
etc things ....

Would really appreciate if some one can through some light on these things ,
I too am trying to understand but till now not able to fully understand all
these things

Warm regards,

Prashant Desai