[opendtv] Re: Will Digital Passthru Effect Digital Tier Subscription?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 08:06:37 -0400

At 3:00 PM -0700 7/31/07, johnwillkie wrote:
So, broadcast is "as bad" as cable even though cable takes two bites of the
apple (underperforming on one, over-performing on another?)

I think you look hard and wide for villans, then not finding one in the
broadcast realm, you invent one.  You tend to ignore the "villany" of the
cable double (or is it triple?) dip.

Let's look at this from a higher level John.

We have content and distribution. And we have some folks that do a bit of both, creating a little content to go along with the stuff that they are re-packaging for distribution.

We have five big media conglomerates that create content and own the rights to 90% of all TV programming. A bunch of smaller companies own the other 10%.

Cable, DBS, and the new Telco TV ventures are dependent upon the five big media companies for their content and upon local broadcasters who deliver the most valuable content from four of these conglomerates.

While these industries appear to compete with one another, they actually operate as interdependent oligopolies. There is no competitive pressure to lower rates - in fact, over the past decade rates have increased at three times the inflation rate. It is now common practice for content owners and in some cases their distributors (i.e. broadcasters) to charge carriage fees that are passed through directly to viewers. These revenues are in addition to advertising revenues that are generated with the highest ad loads in the history of the TV industry.

This is turn has caused many consumers to pay even more to watch content mostly free of commercials via premium distribution - VOD, PPV, DVD sales and rentals, and now downloads. Most of this content is owned by the same conglomerates and the other tentacle of this hydra, the Hollywood movie studios that have not been gobbled up by the conglomerates.

All of this has come about thanks to the collaborative efforts of these industries and the politicians and regulators that these industries depend upon to enable and protect their oligopolies. Only on rare occasions do the politicians/regulators put pressure on these "constituents" to move from monopoly control to more open market approaches as it relates to certain aspects of their businesses.

For example, Congress first legislated an attempt to open up the market for cable set-top boxes as part of the 1992 Cable re-regulation act. Then they asked again as part of the 1996 Telcom Act. Here we are in 2007 and the cable industry and it's suppliers still have monopoly control over these boxes.

And then there is the reconstruction of Ma Bell and the return to total control over the attachment of devices to the cellular networks that now are replacing the wired telco infrastructure.

In short, a century ago the politicians and big business moguls threw in together to create Natural Monopolies, and we have been paying through the nose ever since.

I'm certain John will attempt to put a positive spin on this, elevating broadcasters onto the pedestal he worships. But he might answer this simple question.

How can content creators and distributors make a profit with a free-to-air multichannel TV service that derives virtually all of its revenue from ads. No subscriber fees. Non monthly box rentals. No control over the companies that build and sell the receivers.

How can Freeview survive John?