[opendtv] Re: Widgets

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 22:09:00 -0400

At 3:16 PM -0700 8/27/08, Kon Wilms wrote:
On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 5:14 AM, Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 I must be clairvoyant...NOT!

 Recently I talked about using "widgets" on the family room TV, something I
 have been able to do for several years on my Macs.

 here is an announcement about a Yahoo/Google initiative to bring "The Widget
 Channel" to your TV, as reported by Broadcast Engineering's IPTV Update
 e-newsletter.

Actually you're not - Bert's post linked to some screenshots, the
second showing a weather applet from the widget channel. This stuff is
a joke - as usual another half-assed slapped together effort. Notice
on the weather app how most text is illegible. Testament to the fact
that the UIE designers made this on a PC and just deployed it straight
to the test platform.

http://www.eetimes.com/galleries/slideShow.jhtml?galleryID=42&imageID=4

And they wonder why there is no adoption...

I'm not trying to pass any judgements here. Just noting that I talked about this stuff last week and there is an announcement a few days later. From the EE times image it is difficult to tell how sharp the text is. But I can tell that it is a direct rip-off of a weather widget for the Mac and the weather applet that comes with the iPhone.

Actually, Apple has gone to great lengths to develop anti-aliased graphics for Apple TV and for the OS itself. Perhaps they understand that things look different on a TV...