[opendtv] Widgets

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 08:14:23 -0400

I must be clairvoyant...NOT!

Recently I talked about using "widgets" on the family room TV, something I have been able to do for several years on my Macs.

here is an announcement about a Yahoo/Google initiative to bring "The Widget Channel" to your TV, as reported by Broadcast Engineering's IPTV Update e-newsletter.

http://broadcastengineering.com/iptv/intel-yahoo-internet-living-room-0826/

Intel, Yahoo! aim to bring Internet to living room TV
Aug 26, 2008 9:23 AM
As envisioned, the Widget Channel will allow viewers to enjoy rich Internet applications designed for the TV while watching their favorite TV programs.

Intel and Yahoo! will work together to advance the use of the Internet in conjunction with television in the living room.

The pair previewed plans Aug. 20 for the Widget Channel, an application framework optimized for TV and related consumer electronics devices that use the Intel Architecture.

As envisioned, the Widget Channel will allow viewers to enjoy rich Internet applications designed for the TV while watching their favorite TV programs.

Powered by the Yahoo! Widget Engine, The Widget Channel will let TV viewers interact with small Internet applications known as "widgets" that complement and enhance traditional TV viewing by bringing the Internet within reach of the remote control. Yahoo! also will provide consumers Yahoo!-branded TV Widgets that are customized based on its Internet services.

The Widget Channel will also allow developers to use JAVASCRIPT, XML, HTML and Adobe Flash technology to write TV applications for the platform.

With Widgets, viewers will be able to do a variety of things typically associated with the Internet on their TVs, including watching videos, tracking stocks or sports teams, interacting with friends, or staying current on news and information. Viewers will be able to customize their Widgets to suit their interests.

For more information, visit www.intel.com/go/celink and connectedtv.yahoo.com/newsroom.