[opendtv] Re: Widgets

  • From: Steve Wilson <stevenjwilson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:38:10 -0400

Regarding these widgets on the TV

- security: today, the widgets can only be retrieved from the Yahoo Widget Gallery and they have to be certified by Yahoo to get there. Not ideal, but it should help with security. I dont know specifically what the security issues with JS are, but I do know that many of these embedded processors have hardware security hooks built in. Security is an issue yes, buts it not a showstopper

- example widgets: I was at IDF and saw many of the widgets they showed. The most interesting to me are the widgets that allow you to reach online movies from Netflix, BB, Amazon more easily. Alot of the other generic stuff is ho hum, yes. Weather, finance, movie listings..... But really whats most interesting about the widget concept is how you interact from a TV/remote interface. It seems pretty nice to me. I havent seen Yahoo widgets before so I went and downloaded the desktop engine and some of the widgets .... I found nothing really interesting. Net: its not the specific widgets avail today that is important, its how the whole system is defined such that more relevant widgets can be developed in the future. Its the cost to the consumer to get this, the usefulness and integrity of the platform and widgets, the availability of widgets. This is not specific to Intel either....their announcement brought alot of visibility. Its really more about Yahoo and their desire to bring internet ads to the TV domain.
Tom Barry wrote:
We will see.

Usually the priority of the engineers is to get out something quickly with sufficient features and trimming features to increase security comes second place.

Again, I don't trust java script.

- Tom

Kon Wilms wrote:
On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Given Javascript this may be the beginning of TV viruses and malware. I
tend to distrust it.

What a load of nonsense. Obviously the engines are not the same as the
one in your browser. More likely it is severely stripped down like a
baseline JS 1.5 spidermonkey, for example -- no network comms
capability.

Cheers
Kon