[opendtv] Re: WiFi Supplanting Broadcasting? Get Real!

  • From: "John Golitsis" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 12:53:22 -0400

How much are MSOs spending today tearing up the ground to replace cheap 20 year
old RG-59?  The underground cable at my parents house broke in the early Spring,
for example.  I'm sure the quality of cable they're going to replace that with
is likely substantially better than what was originally planted...maybe because
there was no obvious ROI for using better cable 20 years ago.

Now what's the added cost of including a pair of fiber when they replace that
cable for my parents?  Pennies, really.  But it won't be done.  No foreseeable
ROI.