[opendtv] Re: WiFi Supplanting Broadcasting? Get Real!

  • From: Mike Enright <menright1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:40:16 -0700

John Golitsis wrote:

>That's because there aren't a lot of execs with the cojones to propose such a
>thing!  They know the first question they'll be asked is "what's the ROI?" and
>if there's a formula that can be applied here, I can't think of it.  But that
>doesn't mean it's a dumb idea, either.
>
>A dumb idea is to wait until you *have* to do it and it costs you 10x as much.
>That's when you fudge up some ROI numbers and that's really when your job is on
>the line.  Too bad you didn't think about running that fiber when it was cheap
>to do!

If FTTH turns out to be a must in the next 5 years I would be surprised
if MSO's could manage it with the debt that they are already dealing
with and assumedly would still be paying off in that hypothetical
future. That's why I raised the ROI issue.

A separate venture might be able to do a "friendly overbuild" where the
MSO might even get a share of the profits for being nice about it. But
that venture would have to light the fiber and attempt to make money
from it. Why does this remind me of @Home?

--
Mike Enright
mail: michaelt@xxxxxxxxxxxx AIM: enr Yahoo: michaeltenright