[opendtv] Re: Why the Web Hasn't Hurt TV

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 03:19:54 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

This should make Bert happy...

;-)

Interesting charts, so just click through...

http://allthingsd.com/20120303/why-the-web-hasnt-hurt-tv/

Interesting comments after the article, I'd say.

Funny thing is, TV content, passive TV-style ads and all, can work just as well on the Internet. And as you know, it does not surprise me at all that ad dollars invested on TV content give a better return than web ads. Although, like the one comment said, the products advertised in TV ads have to be products used by the masses.

My own experience with watching TV streamed online is that the ad breaks are shorter and the ads are repeated way more than they are when watching OTA. And they also seem more cheaply produced. Which makes me I think the congloms are still not considering their online streaming to be a popular distribution method. But it could easily be.

Works for me, though. No need to fast forward through ad breaks, when they are each about 90 seconds long! Are you listening, advertisers and broadcasters? Your stuff gets watched at the 60-120 second break level, and it gets blissfully fast-forwarded when breaks are longer than that. In case your own family members haven't told you already!