[opendtv] Why did we undertake this transition in the first place?

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 10:54:01 -0500

Could someone please point me to a single document that shows the FCC ever
intended CABLE to convert to digital along with OTA television?

Why did we undertake this transition in the first place?  To free up
spectrum for resale to wireless service providers.  Period.

John Shutt

<http://broadcastengineering.com/newsletters/rfupdate/20050304/House-Subcommittee-on-Telecommunications-20050304/>

Why did we undertake this transition in the first place?
Mar 4, 2005 8:00 AM, RF Update e-newsletter

Testifying before the House Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the
Internet, Jim Yager, chief executive officer of Barrington Broadcasting,
told Congress that the broadcast industry has done its part to move the
analog-to-digital conversion along, and now it's time for Congress to act to
ensure that the cable industry does its part as well.

Among the remaining stumbling blocks are what broadcast DTV services cable
companies will permit their subscribers to view, he said.

According to Yager, cable operators have long known of the impending DTV
transition but are now seeking to convert digital high definition signals to
analog formats at the head end of their systems.

Down conversion means that consumers who purchased HDTV sets would find
themselves receiving an identical picture as their neighbors' analog-only
TVs, he said.

Imagine if, during the '60s, consumers purchased color sets, brought them
home and plugged them in only to continue seeing black and white pictures.
That is what cable today proposes for DTV, said Yager.

And the question must be asked: If the end result is turning digital signals
back into analog, why did we undertake this transition in the first place?
he asked.

For more information, visit www.nab.org.