[opendtv] Re: Why HANA, why now?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 21:08:54 -0400

What's your point Bert?

I was basically agreeing with you with respect to HANA.

THAT's why I said that it is more likely that we will see external networked decoder boxes like iTV, which will connect to the monitor via HDMI. of course iTV will do much more than decoding media files.

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

 I think Bert is wrong about the MPEG-2 limitation. This will be
 the case for integrated tuners, however, new devices like iTV
 will not be limited to MPEG-2.

Suppose I buy a PVR and connect it to my TV monitor via HANA. Oh, sorry, can't do that. I have to have the MPEG decoder in the monitor. That's why the article made it clear that HANA depends on the plug and play approach, because it depends on MPEG decoders existing at the end of the chain.

Okay, so my monitor and my PVR are HANA-compliant today. Which means,
the PVR records TV programs straight, MPEG-2, and it depends on the
monitor having the MPEG-2 decoder.

Now I buy a new PVR, because I want the longer recording times. Of
course, the new PVR achieves these longer recording times at least in
part by using H.264 rather than H.262. But shucks, I can't use that with
my monitor. Not over HANA, anyway, because the monitor doesn't
incorporate the H.264 decoder.

So, what's the simple solution? If you were clever, the monitor you had
bought has analog interfaces for audio and video. So does the new PVR.
Now just use the analog interfaces and you have the longer recording
times without having to buy all new equipment.

The analog interfaces will also work next time a new codec comes along
for the PVR. Your fancy new H.264-equipped HANA-compliant monitor will
have become obsolete again, unless it and the PVR have analog
interfaces.