[opendtv] Re: Why Europe should choose 720P for HDTV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:46:01 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> But by the time 1080p displays are standard, so
> will be the good deinterlacers in them.

Mark Schubin replied

> If the perfect de-interlacer has been built, I
> haven't seen it it.  Not even the
> ultra-high-speed-processing Teranex Xantus could
> properly deinterlace the moving chrome toy in the
> "Calendar & Train" test sequence.

I was waiting to see if anyone made the point Tom
made.

If we are to believe what we are told, the 1080 at
60i option was included to allow for fast motion
portrayal, with a 1080-line standard, to fit in
the 19.39 Mb/s channel.

Assuming that's true, it seems to me that a valid
question is, "Does deinterlaced 1080i in a 1080
line fixed pixel display look better than 720p in
a 720 line fixed pixel display?" Even if
deinterlacing isn't perfect, is the end result
still better?

From what Doug has said several times already,
the deinterlaced 1080i in his 720p display looks
no worse than 720p material. That does suggest
to me that at very least, deinterlaced 1080i is
equal to 720p. And since the channel bandwidth of
the two is also equal, somehow that sounds
credible.

Santa Claus has packed a 26" 16:9 768 line LCD TV
in his sleigh for me this year. With built-in
(NTSC) tuner, which will do until 5th gen LG, or
equivalent, STBs are finally available on store
shelves.

Circuit City update:

Samsung SIRT 451 ATSC STB: $199.99 This is not a
fire sale. It is a current model.

Samsung SIRTS 360 ATSC + DirecTV STB: $299.99.

Motorola HDT 101 ATSC STB: $299.99