[opendtv] Re: Why Europe should choose 720P for HDTV

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 12:39:50 -0500

Alan -

But does that 42% amount account for the fact that fixed pixel displays
may be effectively tiny little squares with sharply defined edges?  Or
is it intend for some CRT spot beam with approx Gaussian distribution?

Or does it matter?

BTW, It's been pointed out here on the list that my concerns about this
possible non-problem could easily be fixed anyway by simple blurring the
fixed pixels a bit as displayed.  This could even more easily be done
optically in projectors like DLP's and I suspect many digital movie
theaters would look slightly better when very slightly out of focus if
the owners were not so proud of their ability to display non-Nyquist
graphics images (or concerned they hadn't waited for higher rez).

Comments?

- Tom