[opendtv] Re: Why Apple and Comcast Need Each Other to Reinvent TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 02:03:36 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> You conveniently skipped the most important part. Apple, Google, and
> the rest are providing access to what they can license.

Apple shouldn't worry about that. Apple is an equipment manufacturer. It should
only worry about providing access to any and all sites that DO have those
licenses.

Instead, by continuing their attempts at collusion, Apple will continue to
block 99.9999 percent of the Internet from its Faithful. And it will help
perpetuate the old walled garden model.

> Apple cannot magically let their box access stuff that they cannot
> license, so Comcast is not the least bit concerned about Apple
> giving people access to the content they control.

Of course, that's true. Comcast isn't worried about Apple, nor should it be.
It's instead worried about the other portals, such as Amazon and Netflix, which
would be their legitimate competition. As many have said, Apple doesn't have
much to offer Comcast, other than the "caché," as you call it.

> You must deal with the politicians and all of the crap that goes
> along with military appropriations and purchasing. Do you honestly
> believe there is no collusion in all of that?

And well-publicized cases where collusion between DoD and suppliers was shown,
and people went to prison. Exactly.

BUT, more to the point, if there's are cases where this might go "unnoticed,"
it is collusion between the CUSTOMER (the DoD) and the supplier. If there's
collusion between SUPPLIERS, as is the case here with Apple and Comcast, Craig,
I can assure you that there would be no looking aside or hesitating to throw
people in prison.

Let's not get lost in bad analogies, Craig.

>> And Apple needs to quit trying to collude with anyone, and instead
>> provide real Internet connectivity for TV sets. With whatever UI
>> bells and whistles they can dream up.
>
> What makes you think they are not trying to do this?

Attempting collusion with Comcast is the subject of this thread. Not merely
creating limited boxes like AppleTV.