[opendtv] Re: Why Apple and Comcast Need Each Other to Reinvent TV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 07:00:44 -0400

On Apr 14, 2014, at 6:02 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Once again, say what you want, I was watching online streams from the
> networks well before 2010, when I bought the PC for my TV and stereo. So I
> can tell you with certainty that CBS did not and does not impose any
> week-long delay FOTI, for catch-up episodes.

O.K. I just found a story announcing that CBS would start streaming of a few
shows as early as 2006.

But you are wrong about CBS next day availability. Availability depends on the
platform. For example, the latest episode of CSI on CBS.com (requires Flash
player) is less than a week old. On the CBS interactive app, the latest episode
aired April 1. I guess their h.264 encoder is less than real time...

The reality is that the networks are trying all kinds of tricks with both their
Internet sites and Apps. I just posted a story from December that ABC is
delaying free access to their shows. Next day access is restricted to Hulu plus
subscribers or cable subscribers who must enter their username/password.

Check it out and let us know what you find out Bert

> I am sensing the excuses about to begin. AppleTV is whatever Apple decided it
> should be. If Apple decided wrong, then it becomes a device of limited
> usefulness. Apple decided to not support the popular protocols, Apple decided
> to not let the box browse the Internet, and as I told you at the time, these
> are dumb decisions.
>
> And now you are suffering the consequences, but you have the brass to blame
> the congloms.

No Bert, I am not suffering at all. I stopped watching most of this network
crap long before you could stream their shows via the Internet. If I WANTED to
watch this stuff I could make an appointment to watch it when it airs, or
program my DVR to record it so I could skip the commercials. I don't NEED to
wait for the Networks to offer the same crap via the Internet.

I have no problem at all with Apple's design decisions with iOS and Apple TV.
But more important, Apple keeps making all of our devices more useful through
continuous enhancements to the ecosystem. They are adding capabilities and
content as the congloms deign to make it available.

I do not buy your assertions that Apple and the rest of the companies trying to
tear down the MVPD walls are to blame. These decisions are made in Hollywood,
not Silicon Valley.

>> Do you even own a tablet?
>
> I told you many times, we have a Kindle Fire. My wife uses it more than I do.
> Sometimes it goes unused for days at a time. On the other hand, our PCs are
> always in use.

So the answer is no.

>>> Tablets and TVs? Come now. It's all on the manufacturers if they don't
>>> work right.
>>
>> But it is YOUR opinion that they do not work right.
>
> That's hilarious. You just finished telling me that AppleTV can't go to
> cbs.com. Does that sound like it works right for you?

That issue lies squarely with CBS, not Apple. CBS decides what they want to
make available on each platform. I could care less, as this just further
discourages me from watching their programs.

>> No Bert. They are complete front ends to services, not Internet
>> bookmarks.
>
> Be specific, Craig. Different apps do different things. Some give you a piano
> keyboard, for instance. One might be a calculator. One makes your screen
> light up white, like oh cool isn't this a nice flashlight. Some allow you to
> read books in different proprietary protocols. Some might be playlists.
> Others are mere bookmarks. But the fundamental point is, apps had to be
> created to do the simplest things, BECAUSE the I/O capability of these
> devices is so pathetic. These are all design decisions, Craig. They aren't
> limitations imposed by the laws of physics.

More opinion on your part. Yes I/O is different on PCs and mobile devices. And
that's a damn good thing. You can hand a tablet to a two year old and they will
be navigating, using apps and enjoying the experience immediately. Try sitting
the same child down at a PC.

The Apps for the OTT services are different than the web sites. Much more
promotional and filled with social media options. Both CBS.com and CBS
interactive present you with promos for new episodes as your first screen. If
you select a show, the first thing you get on both platforms is more promos.
Navigating to full episodes is less obvious. I am not saying this is wrong,
just pointing out that the networks are still playing with the technology to
see what works on each platform/device.

> The technically challenged were most impressed with "apps," from the start.
> Why? Ask them. It made use of these devices "so simple." Fact remains, how a
> device a designed, i.e. to what extent it has to depend on separate "apps,"
> is a DESIGN DECISION. It's not some Law etched in stone, Craig.

Thank you Bert for finally recognizing REALITY.

Yes these are design decisions Bert, many of which you disagree with.

These decisions are being made by multiple players, it is not one sided as you
suggest.

The ecosystem/device players create a platform, and to whatever degree they
choose determine provide the tools for developers to creat Apps. This is no
different than the way applications were developed for the PC. The developers,
including TV program content owners, decide what to put into the Apps. Curated
ecosystems like the Apple App Store require approval and have a few published
restrictions, none of which are preventing the content congloms from making
their programs available via their Apps. What curation DOES prevent is malware
and other problems that are rampant on un curated platforms like the PC and
Android.

You see Bert, there are some people who like simplicity and a degree of
management of these ecosystems. And there are others who want to tweak and
customize everything. This does not make one wrong and the other right - it is
simply the marketplace responding to opportunities and focusing on the user
experience.