[opendtv] Re: Why Apple TV Will Bomb

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:01:04 -0400

I was amazed to see how many limitations this Apple TV box has. The most
unacceptable is that it can't directly play streaming media content from
the Internet. Nor can it directly download from iTunes. Nor will it play
DVDs.

After reading the piece, I asked myself why not just buy a regular PC
with TV card, and connect a large flat panel TV to it. That should avoid
most of the limitations of this Apple box.

I'm also not surprised that a hefty $2.00 per TV show is too much to ask
for iTunes. Even if they had not aired "free" originally, I just cannot
believe that this level of "a la carte" TV viewing would ever be
successful. FWIW, to all out there trying to come up with all these
clever new "business models" that only a marketer or salesman could
love.

It's nice to get some feedback from time to time, on the ideas that got
so much media hype when they first appeared.