[opendtv] Re: White spaces and 700MHz D Block could be part of new US spectrum plan

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 10:57:22 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> There you go again trying to change the argument. NOBODY ( that
> I know of) has EVER suggested building a distributed broadcast
> system with a dense mesh of low powered cells. The density
> requirements for cellular data networks are necessarily high
> because of the LOW POWER levels used by these devices to link
> back to the network.

Try using numbers to prove your point, Craig. Honestly, generic, vague words
are unconvincing.

I'll set the scenario for you, and you do some numbers. That might finally
convince you.

The broadcaster uses a mesh of , say, three medium power sticks, say 10 KW ERP,
and the closest to you is 10 miles away. Your neighbor has a handheld,
auto-detecting gizmo that is in a poor signal reception part of his apartment,
so it doesn't detect that transmitter. So, from a distance of 10 feet of your
receiver, he starts blasting away at a "mere" 100 mW (white space devices can
go a high as 1 watt, by the way).

Make this easy, biased towards your intended result: assume only free space
losses.

By how many dB will he swamp your desired TV signal?