[opendtv] Re: White spaces and 700MHz D Block could be part of new US spectrum plan

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 20:59:05 -0700

Excellent analogy Bert....

Dale
----- Original Message ----- From: "Albert Manfredi" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2009 2:45 PM
Subject: [opendtv] Re: White spaces and 700MHz D Block could be part of new US spectrum plan

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

It's not so hard to figure out, is it?
Auto-detection schemes can't work right.

Are you serious?

Yes, but first you need to understand the environment we are talking about, compared with your WiFi or even 3G examples, that don't apply here.

In this instance, the desired signal is often a whole lot weaker than the intruding opportunistic signal would be. Instead in your examples, the signal looking for access will end up being one of the strongest ones in that slice of spectrum.

The TV white space usage is much more similar to someone wanting to use the GPS spectrum. Would you trust an auto-detection scheme to share that? I very much doubt it.

Sorry Bert, but its time to retire "Horse and
Buggy" spectrum policy, along with a long list
of outmoded regulations that inhibit the
functioning of modern communications systems.

It just so happens that today, I was listening to a program on NPR that talked about the national parks. Same sort of argument applies there.

Imagine how many billions of dollars could be made if we allowed development on these national parks. Condos on top of the Grand Canyon, for instance. Time shares in Yosemite.

That's a little bit what it sounds like, when self-serving industries try to grab spectrum assigned to other purposes.