[opendtv] White space device rules

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 19:30:01 -0500

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-08-260A1.pdf

Just out, the rules the FCC was promising.

Just like before, the report mentions numerous shorcomings discovered in
receiver testing and also in WSD testing, including the severe reduction in
sensitivity of the auto-sensing mechanism when a TV station operates in an
adjacent channel, including interference to cable receivers.

So, immediately after listing this litany of problems, the report says, "32. As
supported by the record in this proceeding, we conclude that low power devices
can and should be allowed to operate in the TV bands on frequencies that are
not being used by authorized services."

Huh?

Read it for yourselves, starting at about paragraph 24. If I had written the
report, I would have said, "In spite of these findings, with appropriate extra
safeguards, we conclude ..." At least then, the report wouldn't sound quite so
disconnected.

Power levels allowable have not changed from the previous report. But there is
one new wrinkle in particular that I think does help, one extra safety catch.
For the portable devices, they define two modes of operation now: independent
mode and client mode. When in independent mode, these devices must operate with
geo-location capability. When in client mode, they cannot choose a frequency
channel. Client mode means you tune to a frequency channel someone else has
chosen.

"8. Fixed Devices. Fixed devices will be allowed to communicate with other
fixed devices and with personal portable devices. These devices will be
required to determine their geographic location through an incorporated
geo-location capability or from a professional installer and to access and
register with a database system that contains records of protected services ..."

"9. Personal/portable Devices. Personal/portable devices will be allowed to
communicate with fixed devices and with other personal/portable devices. These
devices will be allowed to operate in two different modes: 1) Mode I - client,
whereby a personal/portable device is controlled by a fixed or a
personal/portable device operating in Mode II that has determined the available
channels in the area and/or 2) Mode II - independent, whereby a
personal/portable device determines the available channels using its own
internal geo-location/database access capabilities."

Canadians and Mexicans shouldn't worry, though. These devices cannot operate in
the border regions (32 Km from Canada, 40 Km from Mexico in UHF, 60 Km from
Mexico in VHF).

Also, anyone complain that 6 MHz is not much channel bandwidth? Never fear. The
FCC allows any of these devices to use multiple 6 MHz bands.