[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:06:53 -0000

By way of interlineations

After spending almost 6 years alone in a room writing PSIP generation and
t&m systems, I beg to differ.  I don't know of more than one PSIP book that
is as big as a dictionary, but I will note that in Mark Eyer's PSIP book
(he's the godfather of PSIP) the print is substantially bigger than a
dictionary, and there is plenty of blank space between the lines of text.

Art Allison's "Understanding PSIP" is much smaller, but the print is still
big.

Frankly, nobody at a TV station needs to understand much about PSIP these
days. The toughest issue is getting the psip generator to read the station's
particular automation (or log) file format, and to get the advance
information to the unit, and to update the data set when there's any change
in plans.

The PMCP protocol (ATSC A/76) automates the exchange of information, making
station tasks easier.  There is also fresh work going on with the ATSC T3/S1
subcommittee (which includes me as a member) to become more powerful.  Few
vendors of PSIP generators or automation systems have fully embraced PMCP.
When they do, many problems will become legacy issues.  I can say that there
will be a fully PMCP compliant PSIP generator and PSIP test and measurement
system shown at ** The Tech Retreat **, provided I can see my way to attend.

At least one station group has specified that all their future PSIP products
need to be PMCP compliant.  PMCP is a bitch to deal with, but only as a
system developer.  One of the largest broadcast equipment firms is unhappy
with the current state of PMCP compliance in products from the existing
vendors.

So, this situation is not as bad as you paint it, and it will get better in
the next round of equipment upgrades.

Also often the DBS or Cable companies cover =
> the
> stations EPG with their own.

DBS systems have superior EPGs.  The issue is the accuracy of the
information.  I believe you are exaggerating about cable companies covering
up station EPGs with their own, since this plainly IS A CRIME and the
stations can even sue over it.  The FCC rules say that cable systems have to
pass on all "program-related information" for the terrestrial program
stream(s) that they carry.   Indeed, several crimes would be involved, since
by covering up Event Information Tables, they would be denying viewers
parental ratings and captioning information that stations are legally
required to transmit as of 1/1/2005.  Cable systems have less engineering
and programming staff than most TV stations, it's a non-starter that they
would hand-code ratings and captioning information.

I believe you meant to say that many cable systems offer their own EPGs,
which tend to favor cable-only programming.

>It is a mess.  Digital technology provides =
> so
> many lovely features, but the drawback is it also adds a whole lot of
> complexity.

Huh?  It's harder to setup a digital camera over an analog one?  Sure is a
whole lot easier to use a Windows XP computer than a Windows 1.2 one.  Sure,
XP is more complex, but only us programmers care about that.

Just keeping the audio delay correct is a big headache for
> example.  As more and more viewers get their TV from digital sources =
> this is
> going to piss off a lot of them. =20

This is usually a cinch. You balance the video encoder throughput delay
against the AC-3 encoder delay.  If you care to do it.

> We all should be very diligent in calling or writing to the offenders to =
> let
> them know the public is watching digital and is being annoyed.=20

Particularly if your cable system strips out or covers up PSIP.

> The front office was told by vendors at the NAB years ago: "No Worries =
> Mate"
> this spiffy "state-of-the-art" "new age" digital gear will always take =
> care
> of itself!
>
> I suspect few GMs even watch much of their own station.  Too busy with
> social obligations that go with the position.

Have you ever met a GM?

Engineers watch the station, and are responsible for the content.  The
social obligations of GMs center around advertisers, station reps, showing
the flag at charity and community events and tending to time buyers.  If a
GM isn't happy with what a station shows, budgets, programs or personnel are
changed.

John Willkie