[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 15:26:21 -0400

Frank responding to Mark Aitken:

> Excellent questions Mark. But you of all people know
> better than to suggest that ATSC broadcasts and ATSC
> receivers could fulfill that need for the American
> people during times of emergency.

Maybe Mark knows that, but I don't.

When people like Cliff, in a single story house,  are
capable of receiving all DTT stations from 37 mile
distant Philadelphia and 52 mile distant Baltimore, with
only an indoor antenna, a feat they cannot do with NTSC,
I'd say the picture is changing. The question now is,
"compared to what?" Not compared to NTSC anymore. At
least, not *always.* Not compared to low-power COFDM
either.

Craig has made the point several times that integrated
NTSC receivers for cable and OTA were an attractive
feature for many people, and that cable systems like to
keep their analog tier specifically to compete against
DBS and its mandatory STB. So why is it so hard to apply
that same concept to DTV? Cable can STILL compete against
DBS in this regard, even with their digital tier.