[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: Eory Frank-p22212 <Frank.Eory@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:01:05 -0700

>> But I am not inclined to spend big $ to own my DVR

>To me, that sounds strange. I suppose you might say the
>same about PCs or any other appliance. Renting does have
>its advantages, I suppose, but they are rarely truly
>economic.

Renting can be quite advantageous during the early adopter portion of the
curve. At the time I got my SA 8300HD, the HD Tivo was around $900. That's five
years worth of 8300HD rental at $15/month, and I am certain I will be well into
my 3rd DVR upgrade before five years goes by. And by then, that $900 Tivo will
be a boat anchor.

Back when I bought my first IBM PC in the early '80s, it cost about twice what
that HD Tivo costs today. I would gladly have rented a PC back then for
$30/month -- twice what I'm paying Cox to rent a DVR -- especially if I could
have foreseen how rapidly that PC would become obsoleted by a succession of
newer models with much higher performance and lower cost.

-- Frank