[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 18:03:42 -0500

Al Limberg wrote:

> A very good reason to have the tuner(s) at the antenna
> is that you come down the down lead at a predetermined
> VHF intermediate frequency for each tuner. The down
> lead can be properly terminated, so there are no
> reflections.  This lightens the load on the equalizer
> considerably.  Also, the signal level to the house is
> regulated.  Therefore, proper termination is easier to
> maintain since receivers can be close to optimal point
> in AGC range.

> Tuners belong with antennas.  The reason they didn't do
> this in the old days is that they used mechanical
> tuners that could not be remotely controlled.

But Al ...

I agree with all of that, except that you don't disclose
that in order to implement such a plan, every "TV
appliance" must have its own dedicated antenna.

In the old days, when households had one TV and no
recording devices, this might have worked, were it not
for the fact that tuners were mechanical.

I use my TV antenna downlead for the TV, DVDR, and FM
radio, and limited to those only because I'm too lazy to
route the coax upstairs to the other TV/VCR setup.